All around the Globes
I’m still on an award-season high from the SAG nominations yesterday (you can check 18 things I’m thrilled about here) and this morning, the Golden Globe nominees were announced. Here’s my breakdown of the nominations.
- SAG nominees Matthew McConaughey, Tom Hanks, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Cate Blanchett, Sandra Bullock, Emma Thompson, Judi Dench, Meryl Streep, Michael Fassbender, Jared Leto, Daniel Brühl, Barkhad Abdi, Jennifer Lawrence and Julia Roberts are up for Globes as well (yay!)
- Idris Elba, surprising SAG-snub Robert Redford, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Oscar Isaac, Joaquin Phoenix, Kate Winslet, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Amy Adams, Julie Delpy, Bradley Cooper and Sally Hawkins join the party (yay!)
- My boy Alfonso Cuarón is up for Best Director for his stunning Gravity, which is also up for Best Motion Picture – Drama, Score and Actress (Sandra Bullock)
- Rush, one of my favorites of 2013, is also up for Best Motion Picture – Drama
- Justin Timberlake, one of my favorite singers and whose insanely awesome concert I attended last month, is up for Best Original Song in a Motion Picture for “Please Mr. Kennedy”, a track from the Coen brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis
To be sad about:
- No nominations for The Butler, which got a lot of love at the SAGs but no mentions for Forest Whitaker or Oprah Winfrey
- No Joel Edgerton for Gatsby. I know it was a really long shot, but I would’ve loved seeing him nominated for a fantastic performance.
- No James Gandolfini for Enough Said. His last screen performance won’t be honored with a Globe.
To scratch your head:
- American Hustle, Her, and Before Midnight are comedies and Saving Mr. Banks is a drama, according to the HFPA.
A little trivia:
- There are three Latin nominees this year: Alfonso Cuarón (México), Oscar Isaac (Guatemala) and Daniel Brühl. Yes, Daniel was born in Spain to a German father and Spanish mother, and his full name is Daniel César Martín Brühl González Domingo.
- Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave) was born in Mexico City, Mexico in 1983, to a Kenyan family, and was raised primarily in Kenya.